Göppingen Palace and "Rebenstiege" Staircase
Göppingen Palace owes its existence to Duke Christoph of Württemberg, who ordered a royal palace to be built in the city after he had been treated successfully at Göppingen's acidulous mineral springs.
An imposing quadrangular complex in Renaissance style thus came into being between 1550 and 1568. The wonderful sculpted masonry of the two portals and the "Rebenstiege" (Vine Staircase) in the southwest stair tower are particularly impressive. The undersides of 71 of the spiral stairway’s 79 steps are covered in vine shoots, carved in stone. 13 animals are hidden in their tendrils. Adjoining the north wings of the palace are the former palace gardens, which were redesigned as a park in 1960.
The Staufer Fountain commemorates the city's great past: the three Staufer lions supporting the basin allude to the coats of arms of the Swabian dukes of the Staufer dynasty.
Phone: +49 (0)7161 650 292
Fax: +49 (0)7161 650299