"Haus auf der Alb", Bad Urach
The "House on the Alb" was built in 1929/30 by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kaufmannserholungsheime, a society which provided rest homes for office workers and traders. The project was realised by the Stuttgart architect Adolf G. Schneck in cooperation with Dr. Georg Goldstein, the director of the institution, and is a rare example of the unadorned, transparent and functional style of Modernist architecture. The changing uses of the building reflect the chequered history of the past century: during the National Socialist era the building was part of the recreational programme of the German Labour Front; after the outbreak of war it became a military hospital, and in the postwar period up to 1950 it was a care hospital for people with facial injuries. Only after this did it revert to its original purpose of a rest home. Between 1989 and 1992 the building was converted into a conference centre for the Landeszentrale für politische Bildung (Baden-Württemberg Centre for Political Education), and today it is a place of encounters and democratic ideas. Information on the history and architecture of the building can be found in the exhibition in the tower room.
By prior arrangement, the management of the conference centre is pleased to arrange guided tours on the history and architecture of the building. Access may sometimes be restricted during opening hours if seminars are in progress.
Landeszentrale für politische Bildung Baden-Württemberg | Haus auf der Alb
Hanner Steige 1
72574 Bad Urach
Phone: (07125) 152-109
Fax: (07125) 152-100