Weissenhof Colony with Weissenhof Museum
The Weissenhofsiedlung is one of the most significant landmarks left by the movement known as "Neues Bauen”. The development was erected in 1927 as a residential building exhibition arranged by the City of Stuttgart and the Deutscher Werkbund. Working under the artistic direction of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, seventeen architects created an exemplary residential scheme for modern urban residents. Some of the architects of the Weissenhof exhibition were closely linked with the Bauhaus movement. Both Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, for example, were also directors of the Bauhaus school.
The semi-detached homes designed by Le Corbusier, one of the most influential architects of the twentieth century, show the aesthetic, social and technical upheavals of the Moderne. Following extensive restoration of the interiors, the façades and the grounds, the structure is now open to visitors. The tour takes the visitor through the two halves of the building, where differing aspects are emphasized. The houses of Le Corbusier are part of the UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE.
In the left half of the building, the floor plan of which was profoundly modified since the 1930s, there is an exhibition explaining the genesis and history of the Weissenhofsiedlung. The museum's fittings echo the original floor plan without blurring the traces of structural changes undertaken in the meantime.
The right half of the structure is oriented on the year 1927, when the Werkbund Exhibition was opened at the Weissenhof. It was possible to restore Le Corbusier's arrangement of spaces, the coloration and a part of the furnishings. Thus the visitor encounters a "snapshot" from the exhibition at that time.